October 30, 2020
New York (AP) — Three civil rights groups are filing a lawsuit challenging President Donald Trump’s executive order that prohibits federal agencies, as well as contractors and grant recipients, from offering certain diversity training that the president has deemed “anti-American.” The NAACP Legal Defense Fund filed the complaint Thursday in federal court in Washington, D.C., along with the National Urban League and the National Fair Housing Alliance. The lawsuit argued that Trump’s order violates free speech rights and strangles workplace attempts to address systemic race and sex discrimination. The National Urban League and the National Fair Housing Alliance have both had federal contracts and plan to apply for future ones.
WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) — New Zealanders have voted in favor of legalizing euthanasia in a binding referendum. But in preliminary results, they were rejecting a measure to legalize marijuana. With about 83% of votes counted, New Zealanders emphatically endorsed the euthanasia measure with 65% voting in favor and 34% voting against. The “No” vote on marijuana was much closer, with 53% voting against legalizing it and 46% voting in favor. That left open a slight chance the measure could still pass once all special votes were counted next week, although it would require a huge swing.
SAN DIEGO (AP) — Federal prosecutors say a former U.S. embassy worker in Mexico City is believed to have drugged and sexually assaulted as many as two dozen women. Brian Jeffrey Raymond was arrested earlier this month in San Diego. Raymond has been charged in one case involving a woman who was found naked and screaming from the balcony of a embassy-leased apartment in Mexico City. Prosecutors say they have evidence of 23 other victims. Investigators say they found more than 400 photos and videos on Raymond’s iCloud account in which he is filming unconscious women. Raymond has worked for the U.S. government for 23 years in numerous countries. His defense attorney did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
UNITED NATIONS (AP) — Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has proposed a plan with benchmarks that would allow the more than 18,000-strong U.N. peacekeeping force in Congo to progressively transfer its activities to Congolese authorities. In a 15-page letter to the U.N. Security Council obtained Thursday by AP, the U.N. chief said the peacekeeping mission and the Congolese government agreed on the broad strategy on Oct. 19. If the council endorses its overall direction,, he said, the U.N. will develop a transition plan including additional measurable benchmarks. A vast country in central Africa, Congo has seen immeasurable greed in trying to control its mineral resources..